Fitness Should be fun!

July 24, 2013

Fitness should be fun

With all the different options of physical activity and exercise available to us today, there’s no reason you should spend any of your precious time suffering through an exercise method you simply don’t enjoy.  There is no one exercise method that works for everyone or that everyone enjoys.  And that’s OK! 

My personal favorite training method, one that I’m most comfortable with and enjoy doing on a daily basis, is traditional strength training.  I actually enjoy heading to the gym or our basement and throwing around some iron.  What doesn’t work for me?  Running.  People ask me all the time if I’m a runner, and I almost always reply “Only if someone’s chasing me.”  I don’t feel comfortable running, I don’t enjoy it.  So guess what, I don’t do it.  EVER.  I know that cardiovascular health is important, so I incorporate other types of cardio into my routine.  My most common forms of cardio are stepmill circuits and plyo, circuit, and Tabata training.

In fitness, and in most of life, there are no “one size fits all” solutions.  Find what works for you- what you enjoy doing. Because if you don’t enjoy it, you’re far less likely to stick with it.  And don’t be afraid to change it up.  Even if you love a particular sport or activity, if you’ve been doing it for a while, you may get burned out and need a break every once in a while.  Instead of laying around while you’re taking a break from that particular method of training, take that time to explore another activity.

When I feel burned out or at a plateau, sometimes I’ll take an entire week off of strength training and go do Pilates, TRX, or a ballet barre class- anything to feel refreshed.  And after that week, I’m always itching to get back to lifting.  I find that I really miss it if I take any time off.

If you’re dragging yourself to the gym every day because you feel like you have to, but you hate it every minute you’re there, then STOP!  Find an activity you can’t wait to go to- one that you actually enjoy.

Here is a list to get you started- complete with links to valuable resources for each method of exercise.  Why not give one a try and if it’s not your thing, move on to the next!

 

Fitness Options

2.  Pilates
4. Zumba
6.  TRX
7. Tennis
8.  Sprinting
9.  Running
11. Boxing
12.  Krav Maga
16.  Swimming
18.  Yoga
24.  HIIT
25.  Squash

I’m sure I didn’t even scratch the surface with that list, so tell me what I missed!  What are your favorite method(s) of exercise?

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply